My dog ate my advent calendar, even whilst wearing the cone of shame! He looks very pleased with himself. Grrr.
Of course, chocolate can be bad for dogs because it contains theobromine (a stimulant in the same family as caffeine). If a dog has too much theobromine for its body weight then it won’t be able to metabolize it quickly enough to stop it from being toxic. In large enough quantities it can be fatal.
Luckily for my dog, there wasn’t much chocolate left and it didn’t have a high cocoa content so he was OK – a little hyper, but OK. If you have a dog and want to know more (including what to do if it eats too much), then visit Today I Found Out.